Title: Wastin’ Time
Population: Adult Mental Health (Forensics)
Category: Lyric analysis, sing along, leisure skills
Materials: Guitar or piano, chords to “Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding, copies of “Leisure Activities!” handout (attached), copies of lyrics to “Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding for each client, white board and marker, or chalkboard with chalk.
- Hand out lyrics to “Dock of the Bay” to all clients and introduce song
- Play song and encourage clients to sing along.
- Discuss lyrics of song and what “leisure time” is.
- Have clients come up with 50 (or 75, or 100) positive leisure activities and write them on the board
- Have clients figure out how many hours of leisure time they have per week (Subtract amount of time for work, sleep, eating, bathing from 168 hours).
- At the end of group hand out copies of leisure activities list for clients to keep
Behavioral Observations: Participation, reality orientation, appropriate responses, leisure skills
Source: Song by Otis Redding; List of Leisure Activities by me.
Submitted by: Bethany Clayton; 3/1/2010