Title: Rap Writing
Domain: Communication, academic, emotional
Population: Adult Mental Health (Forensics)
Category: songwriting, leisure skills
Materials: Pre-selected quotes, similes, and idioms, cut into strips with one on each. A bowl/hat/basket to draw out of. Instrumental or beat track, CD player, white/chalk board.
- Have clients draw strips of paper.
- Using what is on the paper they drew, work it into verses. Can be word for word or re-worded and changed. They can also add their own ideas.
- Write verses on the board.
- When desired length is reached, play the instrumental track.
- Take turns having each client rap at least one verse.
Behavioral Observation: Participation, leisure skills, communication, emotional expression
Source: Quotes from William Shakespeare. Idioms, clichés, similes, and quotes compiled by me.
Submitted by: Bethany Clayton; 3/3/2010